Sisaket United’s first ever game in the top tier. They might consider themselves unlucky, having more of the play and then missing a stoppage time penalty.
I badly needed a day out. The season has started a month later than usual, and because of stadium refurbishments at both venues in the city, there were no friendlies to attend.
Pre-match is Leo’s was excellent. A nice little group of us assembled. The food as good as ever, and I got proper stuck into the booze. Then, as is so often the case, it went downhill.
The stadium was nearly full. Logistically it was a real challenge, as two of us went ahead. I needed to meet a group from my village, and with large crowds and Thai’s inability to plan or communicate it sent my stress levels sky high.
All was eventually sorted, and we went into the corner section, which is a steel construction without steps filled in. My mate then announced he couldn’t go up the steps as he suffers from vertigo, so we ended up with an awful view.
Ayutthaya, roared on by a decent following, were what I expected. A decent enough team who I think will finish in the bottom third. Similarly, Sisaket, who played well but are missing a marksman. The visiting goalie pulled off a couple of decent saves. His team went ahead in the sixty-fourth minute through Lucas Dias.
The hosts were given a lifeline in stoppage time when the ref was advised to check the VAR screen before he awarded a penalty. The week before Sisaket scored from the spot. Patrick Valverde put it away in arrogant style without a run up. He was later sent off and suspended from this game.
This time, fellow Brazilian, Deyvison dallied and tried to call the keepers’ bluff, only to scuff his effort and have it easily saved. Possibly the worst penalty I’ve seen since Pat Nevin’s effort for Chelsea in the 80’s or Gary Lineker against Brazil.
We all
attend matches for different reasons. I'm not particulary bothered if they win
lose or draw. But I am extremely upset if my matchday experience is no good. I
will be sorely tempted in future to go to the pub pre match and then go home to
watch the EPL on TV. If I go to the game, it will be alone. Ideally in the
lower divisions.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Many thanks for your comments. They are greatly appreciated.