
Chanthaburi FC
Ground: Chanthaburi Province Stadium
Capacity: 5,000
Club Founded: 2004
League: Thai League 2 (current level)
Chanthaburi FC is one of many provincial clubs that show gradual progress is possible with careful management. Here I look at their story and my visits.
Club Background
Sirisak Musbu-ngor scored the most goals in successive seasons, while Kassiaty Gildas Labi took over the mantle in 2011, before the team was relegated a year later. Prawit Wasoontara, ending the season as top scorer with four goals, tells its own story. The team dropped to the third-tier Division 2 Central-East.
Playoffs Beckon
Playoffs Beckon
Rambhai Barni Rajabhat University Stadium became home for a couple of seasons. When the league was restructured, the 'Wild Rabbits’ were placed in the Thai League 4 East. Mbassegus Mbarga's goals, assisted by Lee Jung-hun, led the side to the regional title, before playoff disappointment ended promotion aspirations.
Chainarong Samuttha led the scoring charts in 2018, before more playoff disappointment. The club again attracted the highest average attendance figures in the division. For the next two campaigns, Tripop Janoensheep scored the most goals.
After league restructuring, Chanthaburi were placed in Thai League 3 East under head coach Arthit Onkham. Htoo Kapaw did his bit to cheer the crowds in 2021-22 despite a lowly league finish under head coach Nattapon Kokittipong.
He was replaced by Tanadat Sangurai. Luan Santos scored the goals to secure a playoff place. The team topped the Upper Group to win promotion to Thai League 2. Brazilian coach Alexander Apsrecid was appointed head coach. Supachai Komslip replaced him before the season ended.
Recent Seasons
Recent Seasons
Wander Luiz top-scored as Chanthaburi consolidated its status. Léo Neiva came in as head coach in January 2025, quickly replaced by Theerawekin Seehawong in a season in which Tiago Chulapa top-scored. Patanapong Sripramote was appointed as the next head coach before being succeeded by Thongchai Rungreangles in February 2026.
My visits
Stadium Visit - Wednesday 16th August 2023
My wife Taew and I were heading to Koh Chang the following day, so I suggested breaking up the journey, as she hadn’t driven a long distance for a while. Chanthaburi seemed like a good choice, so off we headed from Minburi.
As we were too early to check into our hotel, we decided to do some sightseeing. King Taksin Memorial Park was a bit of a letdown. The island and lake surrounding it were being renovated at the time.
Fortunately, the Provincial Stadium was on the way to our accommodation, so I asked my good lady to stop while I took some pictures, which was easy through the wire fence. It was another slight disappointment and certainly lacked what I expected of a second-tier venue. It was a typical Thai multi-purpose arena, complete with a running track.
My visits
Stadium Visit - Wednesday 16th August 2023
My wife Taew and I were heading to Koh Chang the following day, so I suggested breaking up the journey, as she hadn’t driven a long distance for a while. Chanthaburi seemed like a good choice, so off we headed from Minburi.
As we were too early to check into our hotel, we decided to do some sightseeing. King Taksin Memorial Park was a bit of a letdown. The island and lake surrounding it were being renovated at the time.
Fortunately, the Provincial Stadium was on the way to our accommodation, so I asked my good lady to stop while I took some pictures, which was easy through the wire fence. It was another slight disappointment and certainly lacked what I expected of a second-tier venue. It was a typical Thai multi-purpose arena, complete with a running track.
| The bleachers before the construction of the new stand |
The one stand was fine, but that was about it. Just a few rows of open bleachers opposite. I had seen previous images of a big corner stand, like the one in place at Phisanulok, but it was no longer there. The most impressive feature was the modern floodlights.
That wasn't a problem; it was still on my list of venues to watch a game at, hopefully sometime in the future. We headed to Hotel Kasemsarn, a rather old-fashioned but tidy place, before exploring the quaint town that would certainly warrant a revisit.
The standout was probably the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception with its strong French influence, and the little lane off the river which housed the Chanthaboon Waterfront Community.
Taew was happy enough as we found a lovely little boutique clothes shop. We enjoyed a nice meal overlooking the river at the Yindee Café, which was great value, before retiring for the evening. The following morning we completed our journey south.
Chanthaburi 2 Kasetsart 0
Thai League 2
👨👨👧👧 1,579 🎟️ 100 THB
I was determined to revisit Chanthaburi. It had appealed to me on our brief visit. I got the chance when it became the second stop on my solo 6-day, 2,200 km tour, travelling on public transport, plus 56 km on foot. The fixtures had been kind, throwing up a rare Thursday night game.
The previous evening I attended Chainat Hornbill v Pattaya United, and while the game was poor, it got my adventure off to a good start. The Thai people cannot help but warm the heart. After a very early start, I took a small bus to the Minibus Station at Mo Chit in Bangkok to connect with my pre-booked midday service on a similar vehicle.
My front seat was perfect for capturing moments for the video trilogy I was putting together for my YouTube Channel. The driver seemed keen to get us to Chanthaburi as soon as possible, which suited me fine. We arrived at our destination's bus terminal in just over 4 hours.
After taking a snap of the new stand at the stadium across the road from the terminus, I walked through the old town to my accommodation for the night. Laluna River House was exactly what I needed. It was inexpensive, clean, and perfectly located on Sukhaphiban Road, the atmospheric lane behind the river.
Again, I ate at Yindee Café before walking through the bustling street night market, which was as busy as any I have come across. The sights and smells put me in the mood for fun, especially when I climbed one of the town's many small hills and saw the stadium down the slope with a crowd gathering.
Across the road from the stand, some guys in Ford garage overalls had parked their truck and were selling beer out of the back. That's what I called enterprise and overtime! I was immediately impressed once inside the stand. It had legroom,
space between the seats, and a flat standing area at the back.
Because of its layout, I could move freely, take in the experience, and get close to the ultras. I passed on my condolences to Paul Lennon's wife and two sons. Paul was an incredible man who helped set up a school for children with learning difficulties, teaching the kids English through singing Celtic football songs. Anyone needing a
lift is highly recommended to check out his YouTube Channel.
My inadvertent masterstroke was wearing my Sisaket United shirt. A fellow Sisaket supporter, who lives in Chanthaburi and cheers on the locals, showed me his Rasisalai shirt, Sisaket’s neighbours, worn underneath his Chanthaburi top. He gave me his Chanthaburi scarf.
At half-time, I went to buy him a beer. When I returned, he’d changed into a Sisaket away shirt. Quite remarkable. By then, the Wild Rabbits led 1-0 after Bruno Cantanhede's strength and fine finish against a Kasetsart team whom I considered favourites for relegation.
Amadou Ouattara doubled the lead soon into the second half. My new friends were most happy, singing and dancing while drinking beer. I went a wander around to get more footage before booking a Grab taxi in stoppage time to take me to the Cathedral so I could see it lit up. I had thoroughly enjoyed my matchday experience.
Crossing back over the river, I walked back along Sukhaphiban Road. Just past my hotel was Prachaniyom. Translated as Populism, it is a fine craft beer bar. The owner played my kind of tunes before a live duet took over. It was certainly a popular place with local youngsters, and the perfect way to end the day.
I slept very well after an earlyish night and rose the following morning to walk back through the market, which sold fresh goods and typical Thai snacks on griddles. My 7 am bus back to the capital was full, but I made friends with a jolly local who also made the best of the cramped conditions. Chanthaburi was that kind of experience. Next stop Ayutthaya!
You can listen to an account of my 2,200km tour on an episode of A Thai Football Podcast.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Many thanks for your comments. They are greatly appreciated.