Ayutthaya United FC
Ground: Ayutthaya Province Stadium
Capacity: 6,000
Club Founded: 2007
League: Thai League 1 (current level)
Ayutthaya United represent Thailand’s ancient capital, carrying the city’s rich heritage onto the football pitch. The club has steadily progressed through the Thai league system and continues to challenge for success.
It's the least the province's football fans deserve after they lost a champion club in dubious circumstances.
Club Theft
Buriram businessman Newin Chidchob purchased Provincial Electric Authority, better known as PEA FC. The club had moved to Ayutthaya from Chonburi before becoming Thai League champions in the ancient city. Newin relocated the club to Buriram and renamed it Buriram PEA before it became Buriram United.
Meanwhile, Sena Municipality FC played in amateur football, taking part in the Khor Royal Cup. They reached the semi-final in 2013, losing to Nakhon Ratchasima Municipality Sport School FC. They won promotion to a similarly named competition, and then lost in the 2015 semi-final against IPE Samut Sakhon.
The club was admitted to the third-tier Regional League Division 2 Central. Senabodee Stadium became their home ground. Sena Municipality changed its name to Ayutthaya United FC to join Ayutthaya FC, who were also in the same division, creating a local derby and adding further interest.
Ayutthaya United
Tomohiro Onodera top-scored for United, nicknamed the 'Ayothaya Warriors'. To add to the confusion, a third club in the province, Ayutthaya Warrior, spent the 2016 season in the same division after relocating and renaming Phichit FC. Thankfully, to avoid further mix-ups, Phichit reclaimed the club after one season.
Ayutthaya United grabbed the opportunity to move to the Province Stadium in Thai League 3 Upper after the league system was restructured. Kendall Jagdeosingh performed well for the team before Osvaldo Neto's goals took them to Thai League 2 after Nara United were defeated in a playoff game.
Ayutthaya United grabbed the opportunity to move to the Province Stadium in Thai League 3 Upper after the league system was restructured. Kendall Jagdeosingh performed well for the team before Osvaldo Neto's goals took them to Thai League 2 after Nara United were defeated in a playoff game.
Promotion
Arnon Buspha scored the decisive goal in front of 2,850 happy fans. Jeong Woo-geun topped the scoring chart in 2019 as Ayutthaya consolidated its second-tier status under head coach Chalermvud Sangapol, later replaced by Anuruck Srikerd and then Panatapong Sripramote.
In 2020, Ayutthaya FC changed their name to Bang Pa-in Ayutthaya FC. The following season, after earlier relocating to Bang Pa-in District Stadium, the team was relegated from Thai League 3, leaving Ayutthaya United as the city's club.
Fans Rewarded
Santi Chayaphuak and Jetsada Jitsawad were the next head coaches, with Yoo Byung-soo top-scoring. Coach Santi arrived for a second spell before being replaced by Bruno Pereira. Brazilian star Nilson excited the crowds before André Luís's goals took the side to the 2023-24 playoffs.
The side led by former Australian international Danny Invincible, went out to Rayong after extra time in their semi-final tie. Jugkrit Siriwattanasart became the new head coach. With several loan players in the squad, Ayutthaya United won promotion to Thai League 1 after Caíque led the scoring charts.
Arun Tulwattanangkul led the team that consolidated its league status and also reached the FA Cup semi-final, where they lost to Buriram United in 2025-26.
My visits
Stadium Visit - Thursday 22nd November 2018
I’d enjoyed my full quota of beers for the evening and headed to my digs in good form, singing along, but totally unaware of my surroundings. I smacked my forehead against the edge of a metal lean-to. Cue plenty of bleeding. I’d never cut my forehead before, and I was terrified.
Some locals in an open-fronted garage opposite saw my predicament and rushed to my assistance. They cleansed and bandaged me before sending me home. I’ll never forget that kind act until the day I die.
Once done, I flagged down a tuk-tuk next to some friendly locals who shouted, smiled and waved me off. I think they were shocked and mildly amused that I fit inside. My driver dropped me off at the station, where I snacked at the excellent but pricey Station bar and restaurant.
I headed back to the capital to grab some last-minute gifts before taking the Sky Train and a taxi to Minburi to meet my friends. We celebrated a local Loi Krathong and then had a last supper before my flight back to the cold weather and atmosphere of Blighty.
My visits
Stadium Visit - Thursday 22nd November 2018
First Impressions Matter
My host Steve had packed off to Ayutthaya on an early visit to Thailand while he was teaching. He told me it had a lively nightlife. Being only used to the bright lights of Bangkok and Phuket, I was underwhelmed. Maybe he was joking? However, an incident while there cemented my affinity for the country's wonderful people.
My host Steve had packed off to Ayutthaya on an early visit to Thailand while he was teaching. He told me it had a lively nightlife. Being only used to the bright lights of Bangkok and Phuket, I was underwhelmed. Maybe he was joking? However, an incident while there cemented my affinity for the country's wonderful people.
I’d enjoyed my full quota of beers for the evening and headed to my digs in good form, singing along, but totally unaware of my surroundings. I smacked my forehead against the edge of a metal lean-to. Cue plenty of bleeding. I’d never cut my forehead before, and I was terrified.
Some locals in an open-fronted garage opposite saw my predicament and rushed to my assistance. They cleansed and bandaged me before sending me home. I’ll never forget that kind act until the day I die.
A Return Visit
Anyway, fast-forwarding over a decade, I returned by train the previous day, walking in the heat, and admiring the majestic temples. A lovely local evening of chat, massage, beers, food and watching live music followed. I’d stayed at the Ayutthaya Grand Hotel, which was far from grand, but it did the job in a fine location.
Anyway, fast-forwarding over a decade, I returned by train the previous day, walking in the heat, and admiring the majestic temples. A lovely local evening of chat, massage, beers, food and watching live music followed. I’d stayed at the Ayutthaya Grand Hotel, which was far from grand, but it did the job in a fine location.
Ideally, the Provincial, or Krungsri Stadium as it is also known, was on my way between there and the railway station and ideal for a whistle-stop visit. Again, the heat was searing. I walked along the dual carriageway to Tambon Phai Ling. I followed the signs and turned left.
The entrance to the stadium complex was a couple of hundred metres along the road. An old temple and statue stood in the park at one end of the multi-purpose arena that had a running track around the football pitch. Other facilities accommodated other sports. A school party waited behind the stand for their sports day to commence.
Easy Access
Access was easy for taking my photos. The stadium had a raised area on either side. The main side had a long section of proper seating, with a roof over most of it, while the other side looked more makeshift, standing open on frames.
The city end where I entered had banners over the fencing, giving it a bit of identity, something not always found at similar arrangements around the county. The goals were still in for the schools despite the Thai leagues having finished their season.
Access was easy for taking my photos. The stadium had a raised area on either side. The main side had a long section of proper seating, with a roof over most of it, while the other side looked more makeshift, standing open on frames.
The city end where I entered had banners over the fencing, giving it a bit of identity, something not always found at similar arrangements around the county. The goals were still in for the schools despite the Thai leagues having finished their season.
Fond Memories
Once done, I flagged down a tuk-tuk next to some friendly locals who shouted, smiled and waved me off. I think they were shocked and mildly amused that I fit inside. My driver dropped me off at the station, where I snacked at the excellent but pricey Station bar and restaurant.
I headed back to the capital to grab some last-minute gifts before taking the Sky Train and a taxi to Minburi to meet my friends. We celebrated a local Loi Krathong and then had a last supper before my flight back to the cold weather and atmosphere of Blighty.
Ayutthaya United 1 Uthai Thani 2
Thai League 1
👨👨👧👧 3,962 🎟️ 120 THB
I looked at how to get to a game in Ayutthaya whenever my wife and I were at our Minburi condo. The last train departed at 21:00, but it was an express service with higher fares and no guarantee I could board. I solved the problem by setting out on an impetuous solo tour across Thailand.
It would last 6 days, meaning travelling over 2,200km by public transport and fitting in five football matches. I'd already been to games at Chainat Hornbill and Chanthaburi. I caught the 7 am bus back to Bangkok from the cathedral city.
I expected the minibus to Ayutthaya to be busy around midday on a Friday, and I wasn't disappointed. The Minibus Station at Mo Chit was once again efficient in assisting me. I was on board, and we set off within a few minutes. A local told the driver to stop so I could get out near my hotel.
I chose the same area to stay as on my previous visit, knowing it was near the stadium and the nightlife area. The Rose Garden Hotel showed its age, but was inexpensive and clean. I decided to go for a walk before a siesta so I could take photos and collect footage for the video trilogy of my adventures for my YouTube Channel.
A tasty pork noodle soup lunch at a typical open-fronted establishment, where friendly old ladies looked after me, was a good start before I walked to the stadium, then to Wat Yai Chai Mongkhon before my afternoon nap and watching Yorkshire secure victory on YouTube.
It was Friday evening after work, as traffic built as I walked to the stadium. Crowds gathered behind the open side, buying food and drink. I found the ticket queue, where a young lady did her best to print receipts with QR codes and had to cut each one with scissors.
I got in during the playing of the King's Anthem, in the end section nearest the away fans. The first half of this top-level encounter was a procession of delays to treat injured players and a contest of machoism between many of the Brazilians on either team, who looked to deceive the referee with underhand tactics.
It was a relief when the man in charge blew the half-time whistle. It gave me the chance to buy a beer for 70 THB and an excellent pad krapow with fried egg for just 40 THB. I chose to sit at the opposite end of the open stand for the second half. I was taken by the camera box on top of the main stand, which looked more suited to bird watching than football.
Gradually, the game improved. It was still a physical battle, but some semblance of football broke out. Diogo Brito put the hosts ahead with a good header in the fifty-ninth minute. Uthai equalised through Robertinho a couple of minutes later after a corner wasn't cleared.
The visitors continued to plug away. They were rewarded in the first minute of stoppage time when a deflected shot from sub Sirod Chatthong left Warut Makemusik stranded in the home net. However, the drama
was far from over.
Yuki Kusano thought he’d equalised. Most of the crowd were
not best pleased when the ref was sent to the VAR screen and overruled the
goal. It was good fun all told, with the stadium having been adapted as well as
possible to stage Thai League 1 football. The supporters were certainly passionate.
I headed to the area labelled Balloon Ayutthaya Night Plaza on Google Maps, where I had been before during my previous stay and again on a later day trip to Ayutthaya. A couple of bars did the job: first Imagine and then Seven Street Bar, before I called it a night.
In the morning, I filmed more clips at Wat Mahathat and Wat Ratchaburana, and then walked down Naresuan Road to catch a minibus to Suphanburi to continue my tour.
You can listen to an account of my 2,200km tour on an episode of A Thai Football Podcast.







No comments:
Post a Comment
Many thanks for your comments. They are greatly appreciated.